Friday 3 February 2012

See you at Earth Fest 2012!

This is a 38 day old chick.



Either they're getting faster or my camera is getting slower, I've never had so many empty frames.



We have relocated about 150km west of where we were situated.

Moving with 40 chooks is not easy but it has given me the opportunity to rethink a few things with their living arrangements and see things with fresh eyes.

I am now on the hunt for a better food container system. 

My chooks eat very little in the way of pellets -- they prefer to forage.  So what is in feeders can be there for quite a long time. 

In humid weather pellets and grain can go mouldy and food sitting around is surely a lure for vermin -- not that I've ever actually seen any.

In the middle of summer water is also an issue. The cooler the water remains, the better it is for the chooks.

I know the water must get warm in the standard style containers because in summer there is more of that green slimy growth that needs to be scrubbed away whenever they are empied for refilling.

If anyone knows of a great water and feed system that addresses these issues I would love to know about it.






This little girl looks as though she might be missing home -- but in actual fact the cat just went by the window.
I've been invited to give a presentation on  "keeping backyard chooks" at this year's Earth Fest.

If anyone is in the Gippsland region in late March there's going to be plenty on the workshops program and it kicks off with a film night, plus nude food and entertainment (not nude -- I hope).

On the Sunday there is a tour of veggie gardens across the region featuring different styles and approaches ranging from wicking beds to permaculture.

The Wellington Sustainability Group have a website and fackbook page with all the details.  I'll chase up the links and put them on here next week so you have see the entire Earth Fest 2012 program.

No comments:

Post a Comment