Wednesday 22 February 2012

What a difference a day makes.

These are the 3 week old chicks. Up until yesterday I was confident we had 3 girls but what a difference a day makes!
Look at the comb on the chick at the top of the photo compared to the comb at the bottom. The plump and slightly redder one is now looking like it's a boy.

The eggs hatched 2 days apart so hopefully the other 'girls' will not look like this tomorrow.
The chicks are loving and thriving from free ranging.

Salt and Pepper spends the day showing them where to find insects.

At the moment there are spiders of all shapes and sizes all over the yard -- but in a few more weeks I think it will be difficult to find one.

When I go out to feed them in the mornings or collect eggs in the afternoon I am always walking through cobbwebs so I for one will not miss the spiders!




But there are bigger dangers lurking than spiders.  To chooks, spiders mean a tasty protein morsel. 

Tiny was curious about the new chicks but showed some self control and didn't chase them.

Salt and Pepper is friendly but I imagine she would turn fairly fierce if danger leapt out.

She is such a lovely chook. My little girl could pat her and touch the eggs under her when she was clucky without even the threat of being pecked. When we pick up the chicks she watches but doesn't get anxious. As a result her chicks are calm and relaxed.




This pretty girl is out enjoying the last rays of sunlight at dusk, which reminds me I haven't closed the chookhouse... got to go!










2 comments:

  1. Hi there, I'm saw you in green mag and I'm really interested in finding out more about giving some of your babies a home. We live in Daylesford and have a great cook house just waiting for some chooks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to tell you all about them and make some introductions. Email me at: chookchickenquiries@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete