Monday 16 January 2012

Hide and seek

This is a 23 day old chick.

We missed a few days due to camera issues.







You will notice in the past few days head feathers have begun to grow.  The chicks will get a bit scraggly looking for the next little while before the stunning adult emerges.

I spent more than an hour on Saturday looking for one of Angelina's chicks that had gone missing.  I only found it when I counted Alice's to make sure none of hers had gone missing -- and realised she had one extra!  The little one had wandered off to join its cousins for the morning.


Here is a view of them from above -- a dazzling display of spots, dots and stripes.

How they will eventually end up looking isn't settled until after their first adult moult.

Alice is what is called silver laced. The pale chicks will be silver spangled.  The dark chicks will be a bit of a chequer board of them both.


Salt-and-Pepper is hiding under the nursery and refuses to come out.  I think I k
now why we've been low on eggs in the fridge. We are moving house in two weeks so it's going to pose a problem for us.

I've moved hens across the yard but never across town.

Miss Lilly's eggs will hatch next so we'll be relocating about 30 chicks and 20 chooks.

I hope the weather cools down between now and then.



No comments:

Post a Comment