Sunday 1 January 2012

More on the way?

This is a 9 day old chick.

The tail feather growth, when you compare it to yesterday, is amazing really.

In a few more weeks, tail feathers can be quite an accurate indication of each chick’s gender. 

Pullets push out their tail feathers faster than roosters – it would be nice to think I’ve got 7 girls and 2 boys but nature is usually closer to a 50/50 split so I won’t get too excited just yet.



I thought I’d been low on eggs, in particular the perfect smooth chalk white eggs laid by Dotty, over the past week.

I love her pure white eggs. I'm not sure when the media go sooooo into brown eggs. Every egg advertisement or cooking show always have dark brown eggs -- like it's the healthy wholemeal option!  The colour of the shell is in no way an indication of the nutrient content of the egg.

You can tell what colour egg a hen will lay by the colour of its earlobes. Pale earlobed pullets lay white eggs, dark earlobes mean she will lay brown eggs.

So today I stalked Dotty so see just where she is laying. Can you see the hole in the middle of this picture?

That’s the start of a long tunnel that goes through a big prickly pile of sticks and grass, and late this afternoon when the sun was going down I found Miss Lilly sitting in there.

I have no idea how many eggs she is on. Angelina’s eggs are due to hatch any day and then Miss Lilly, if she stays sitting, will be a mother too in about 20 days! It will be her first lot of chicks.

Tomorrow you should really meet Dottie. She's about the only one not clucky or mothering!

No comments:

Post a Comment